The city of Chandigarh is the transit point for several hill stations such as-
- Morni hills – Located in the Panchkula District of Haryana, these hills are at a distance of 45 kilometres from Chandigarh. You can visit the Mansa Devi temple and the gurudwara of Nada Sahib. Activities include boating, bird watching, trekking , rock climbing, sailing and canoeing. The ideal time to visit this place is between September and March.
- Kasauli – Located in Solan, Himachal Pradesh, it is at a distance of about 60 kilometres from Chandigarh and the travel time is two hours. The weather here is pleasant throughout the summers, though winters can be pretty chilly. You can visit Monkey Point, Baptist Church, Baba Balak Nath temple, and the famous Sunset Point. The best time to visit is between April-November.
- Barog – This is another hill station on the Shimla highway, located about 62 kilometres by road from Chandigarh. The climate is pleasant. You can go trekking through the forest here and visit the Solan brewery, Horticulture University.
- Chail – Chail is at a distance of 110 kilometres from Chandigarh. It has a salubrious climate. Trekking and wildlife photography attract tourists. Places of interest are – Wildlife Sanctuary, Sidh Baba ka mandir, the Maharaja’s palace and the cricket ground. May to November are the ideal months to visit this place.
- Solan –About 72 kilometres from Chandigarh, Solan is a beautiful town. You can indulge in trekking and fishing here. The ruins of Gurkha fort, monasteries, and the Mohan Meakin brewery are places worth a visit.
- Parwanoo –Just 35 kilometres away from Chandigarh, on the Chandigarh-Shimla highway, Parwanoo is just a one hour drive from Chandigarh. Trekking and nature walks are conducted here. The climate is pleasant and slightly cool.
- Nahan – It is a tranquil and beautiful hill station, situated 78 kilometres from Chandigarh. Paonta Sahib Gurudwara and Suketi Fossil Park are major tourist attractions here.
- Nalagarh Fort – Located on a hillock 50 kilometres away from Chandigarh, its orchards and buildings with Mughal style architecture attract tourists.
- Shimla – This legendary hill stationis situated at a distance of about 120 kilometres from Chandigarh. Famous places to visit here include Annandale playground, Chadwick Falls, Christ Church, Jakhu Temple, Shimla State Museum and the colourful local markets. Activities include-trekking and a journey in the Toy Train.
- Kufri – Located at a distance of approximately 132 kilometres from Chandigarh, Kufri is known for its scenic beauty and is thronged by nature enthusiasts. Activities include winter sports such as skiing, togganing etc.
- Dharamshala to Mcleodganj route – It is located at a distance of approximately 250 kilometres from Chandigarh. Places to visit include temples and Buddhist monasteries. Mcleodganj also boats great restaurants and bakeries. The weather remains pleasant throughout the year.
- Mashobra – This quaint hill station is situated at a distance of 135 kilometres from Chandigarh. Mashobra is famous for trekking.
If you wish to take a trip to any of the places mentioned above, you must begin your journey at Chandigarh. The best luxury Hotels in Chandigarh offer plenty of attractive packages for a trip to any of these hill stations.